Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Hiking the Connecting Route between the Tisch Mills Segment and the Kewaunee Segment of the Ice Age Trail

Sometimes in life you find yourself thinking there's got to be a better way to do a thing. Preparing for this hike, I looked at the suggested 25.3 mile route between the Tisch Mills and Kewaunee Segments of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail (IAG). Being that I am a section hiker, not a thru-hiker, no compelling reason exists to do the entire IAT and all of it's connecting routes in a manner that traverses purely east to west, or purely west to east.



A section hiker can start the Kewaunee Segment mid segment, hiking one way, coming back to center, then hiking in the other direction as returning to one's car is part of the plan for a day hike.  I found a more direct route from tbe terminus of the Tisch Mills Segment of the IAT to a parking area at Bruemmer Park near the middle of, and accessible to, the Kewaunee Segment of the IAT. I shaved the connecting route down to 11 miles. This is the route I took.   


At the Northern Terminus of the Tisch Mills Segment of the IAT


The trailhead sign is quite small


Starting at the north end of the Tisch Mills Segment of the IAT, I headed east on Nuclear Road. I crossed crossed over the East Twin River, enjoying views of Cross Country Vines and Wines and local farmsteads. After about a half mile, I turned left heading north on Norman Road. 


East Twin River

Winery Vines

Cold Country Vines & Wines

Crossroads


Now heading directly north into a cold headwind, I put my rain jacket on over my fleece and pulled the hood over my hat. The piercing November wind gusts blew the few gentle flurries the fell in wild circles. The snow didn't accumulate on the still warm ground. It was 31°F (-1°C), but the previous day had been 70°F (21°C). Along Norman Road I enjoyed a few brief forested areas, farmsteads, the site of the historical Black Earth Indian Village, Maple View Campground, St. Joseph's Church and Cemetary, the Historic Norman General Store. 


Norman Road

Signs along Norman Road

Near Black Earth Indian Village Historical Site

Corn rustling in the wind

Red barn on Norman Road

Maple View Campground 

St. Joseph's Church


Historic Norman General Store

I enjoyed encountering no traffic nearly the entire length of Norman Road. As I neared Country road B / County Road J, a buck stepped out of the trees and stood mid-road watching me, so I stopped to watch him. I was really enjoying the moment when the only vehicle I encountered along this stretch of road flew breaking the spell. 


Big buck on Norman Road

East Twin River

After approximately 3.3 miles, I left Norman Road following County Road B to the north and east, then  County Road J to the east For about 1.5 miles before heading north on Town Hall Road. Town Hall Road provided many splendid views of Wisconsin farm country. Buffalo Creek Farm presented an interesting Highlight along Townhall Road, as did a farmstead with a number of men's boots and shoes on the fence posts. I'm certain there's a story there! 


County Roads B and J


Broken Window

Gorgeous color along Townhall Road

Boots on the fence posts

Buffalo farm

TownHall Road at State Highway 29


After 3 miles on Townhall Road, I turned east on Wisconsin State Highway 29, walked about a mile, and then turned north on Birchwood Road continuing my way through farm country. In about one more mile, I turned right on County Road F in Birchwood. I traveled east past a home where many collies barked excitedly. I continued to a curvy stretch of County Raod F, then headed steeply downwards towards Footbridge. About a mile later, I passed the Kewaunee Winter Park, crossed the Kewaunee River and ended my hike at Bruemmer County Park. Another road walk on the books, I began to look forward to hiking the Kewaunee Segment of the IAT.


Beautiful farm country

County Road F as Town Hall Road


Heading downhill on County Road F


Footbridge, Wisconsin

Kewaunee Winter Park

Kewaunee Winter Park Signage

The Kewaunee River

Bruemmer Country Parker


That's all for now, let's get outdoors and Keep our wild places wild.





Total Distance Covered -  11 miles (17.7 km) one way.

Difficulty - Easy to moderate with some light hilly spots. 

Trail Conditions - A windy 31°F(-1°C) November day with light flurries that did not accumulate. Dogs at one of the farms chased me which was a bit unnerving. Traffic was very light on Norman Road and Townhall Road, but busier on State Highway 29 and County Roads B/J and F.

Highlights -  A buck stepped out onto Norman Road and stared me down, the Historic Norman General Store and the Buffalo farm.

Total Ice Age Trail Miles to Date - Total official IAT trail distance completed to date - 539 miles (862 km).

Amenities - There is not trail head parking for the IAT on  Nuclear Road but I parked on the shoulder of the road across the road from the tiny trailhead. There is a parking area at Bruemmer Country Park in Kewaunee.

Location - Parked roadside on Nuclear Road at the northern terminus of the Tisch Mills Segment of the IAT.


No comments:

Post a Comment