Monday, October 17, 2022

Hiking the Connecting Route between the East Twin River Segment and the Tisch Mills Segment of the Ice Age Trail

To officially complete the Ice Age National Scenic Trail (IAT), one must hike all trail segments and connect them by foot along connecting routes of one's choice. Last spring I finished the East Twin River and Tisch Mills Segments of the IAT, but not the road walk joining the two. Our family's summer canoe trips and camping adventures took center stage starting in May. This weekend, with an autumn chill in the air and bright maples leaves blowing across the driveaway, I felt that old urge calling me back to the IAT. 



I opened my book of maps, the Ice Age Trail Atlas published by the Ice Age Trail Alliance, and reviewed the 5.8 mile suggested route between the East Twin River Segment and the Tisch Mills Segment of the Ice Age Trail. I set aside the atlas, choosing a simple, more direct 4.4 mile route instead. Yes, the suggested route likely took quieter country roads and perhaps offered more scenery, but the area in general did not seem particularly busy and did offer some beautiful views of the Wisconsin countryside, so the shorter option won my vote.


Trailhead parking near the East Twin River Segment of the IAT


Patches and certificates may be earned by hiking small portions of the IAT.


I parked in the trailhead parking area near the East Twin River Segment of the IAT. Heading east along Hillview Road, I paused to look at the beautiful East Twin River before walking by fields, farms and homesteads. The wind rattled dry leaves. Some of the properties looked spooky, the way abandoned properties do so close to Halloween. Many hundreds, quite possibly thousands, of seagulls flew in undulating masses and settled from spot to spot on farm fields. As I continued down Hillview Road, I passed the plain, neatly maintained Lakeside Mennonite Church, but did not see a lake.


Is it my imagination, or is that box smiling at me?


Farm on Hillview Road


Creepy house appears to be abandoned


Lakeside Mennonite Church - where's the lake?


Still don't see the lake...

At County Trunk Highway B, I turned left and walked north. I passed trees in full, gorgeous shades of autumn orange and gold. I passed country homes and farms. At the corner of Highway B and Tapawingo Road, an intriguing sign for a haunted woods beckoned. Now 8:00 am, I thought about checking it out but realistically the odds of it being open anytime early in the day seemed pretty low.  As I continued north, I passed intersection with Sandy Lane and the Good Times Restaurant and Banquet Hall, which was open. Turns out Good Times opens at 6 am daily, later on Sunday.


Haunted Woods! Let's Go!


Interesting gate fence along County Trunk Highway B


Good Times Banquet Hall and Restaurant was open!?!? 
Opens at 6 am all but Sunday.


Creative planter on Highway B



East Twin River


Glorious seasonal colors 

After passing the intersections with Holmes Road, Tisch Mills Road, and Two Creeks Road, I came to the place where the East Twin River crosses Highway B. I paused taking in the view of the river in all of it's autumnal glory. Then I continued across the East Twin River collowing County Trunk Highway B North passing more fields, farms and country homes and Zander Road. At the corner of Freedom Road and County Trunk Highway B, I passed a home that was built into the earth. I've always been intrigued by this idea, and although it wasn't easy to see too much of the home from the highway, I did enjoy seeing what I could . Before long I reached the tiny sign atop the small hill alongside a cornfield indicating the start of the Tisch Mills Segment of the IAT. I turned around and walked back to my starting point at the East Twin River Segment Trailhead.

That's all for now, let's get outdoors and keep our wild places wild.


Signage along Country Trunk Highway B


Interesting lawn decor along County Trunk Highway B



More along County Road B



The sun is trying its best to com out


The view on Hillview Drive




Map of Today's Route between the East Twin River and Tisch Mills IAT Segments


Total Distance Covered -  4.4 miles (7.1 km) one way, 8.8 miles total.

Difficulty - Easy.

Trail Conditions - The connecting route traverses country roads, 36°F (2°C).

Highlights -  Views of fall color, Wisconsin farmsteads, the East Twin River, and a large flock seagulls.

Total Ice Age Trail Miles to Date - Total official IAT trail distance completed to date - 528 miles (875 km).

Amenities - Parking at the East Twin River Segment trailhead parking on Hillview Road. The Good Times Restaurant and Banquet Hall on County Trunk Highway B is along the route.

Location - Parked at the parked at the East Twin River Segment trailhead parking on Hillview Road.


No comments:

Post a Comment