Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Hiking the Point Beach Segment of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail

Like many of the other segments of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail (IAT), I hiked the Point Beach Segment of the IAT twice, once out and once back. I hiked the first 2.1 miles of the Point Beach Segment in early December when I finished the Two Rivers Segment with no snow and ice. I returned to finish the other 8 miles of the segment in early January, this time with hard packed ice and snow on the trail.






The Point Beach Segment of the Ice Age Trail travels through the Point Beach State Forest. This well-maintained segment offers benches along the trail, some with water views. If looking to camp along the way, the campground in the Point Beach State Forest offers 127 campsites, and there is one rustic campsite trailside called the Ice Age Campsite. If you have a larger group, the Point Beach State Forest offers a group campsite and group cabins all within a short walk from the beach and the Ice Age Trail. There is also a kayak campsite accessible from Lake Michigan.


Shells on the beach.

View of Lake Michigan along the IAT.


Someone gathered driftwood for a bushcraft project


After finishing the Two Rivers Segment of the IAT, I followed a short stretch of sandy trail through the trees to Lake Michigan and hiked the sand beach along the lake. Although December and relatively cold, a recent warm spell ensured no snow and ice on the trail making for easy walking. After 2.1 miles on the Point Beach Segment, I headed up a sand dune as the trail headed away from the lake and found a bench to take in the view. After a short rest, I turned back following the beach and the Two Rivers Segment of the IAT back to my car. The beach had been so beautiful, I looked forward to returning to explore the remainder of the Point Beach Segment of the IAT.

 

Sunrise over the freezing water

Rawley Point Lighthouse



As it goes, life and the holidays got in the way, and it wasn't until early January that I returned to finish the Point Beach Segment of the IAT. On an icy January morning, I returned bundled up in snowpants and layers. I arrived just before sunrise and slipped across the icy parking lot to check out Rawley Point Lighthouse before heading off for the IAT. The cold wind blowing across Lake Michigan stung, and chased me towards the IAT.


Ice Age Campsite


Frozen water features along the trail

Boardwalks along the trail


Point Beach Segment of the IAT



This day I had a bit more privacy on the trail, I'm sure this had something to do with the frigid temperatures. First I headed south of the ranger station. The trail surface, due to busy foot traffic, consisted of hard-packed icy snow, the kind that can be best hiked with micro-spikes. Off trail the snow cover the ground with a loose powder. 

For the day's nearly 8 miles, the trail headed through the trees with sand dunes limiting the views of nearby Lake Michigan and blocking the wind. The rustic Ice Age Campsite had a picnic table and fire ring, a nice place to camp trailside protected from Lake Michigan's winds by a sand dune, but with gorgeous views of Lake Michigan just over the top of the sand dune. The trail continued through a forested area past some group cabins, and around some water features. Soon I found myself back at the bench overlooking Lake Michigan I had sat upon during my last visit. 


The long boardwalk in the Rahr Memorial area


 Sun came out!


I sat on the bench once again, then turned back. When I reached the ranger station and parking area I followed the Ice Age trail in the other direction. I headed up the road, crossed County Highway O, and walked though another icy parking lot, and into a forested area. Eventually the trail left the Point Beach State Forest and crossed County Highway V heading into the Manitowoc Public School System's Rahr Memorial School Forest. 

The trail contained boardwalks and low areas, particularly around the Rahr Memorial School Forest, that might be quite wet in other nonfrozen seasons. Eventually I reach Lakeshore Road and turned back to hike the stretch of trail in reverse. The cold penetrated my layers into my joints, and I was glad to be nearing the end of my hike to warm up in the car.



Point Beach Segment of the IAT


Total Distance Covered -  10 miles (16 km) one way.

Difficulty - Easy.

Trail Conditions - The trail traverses sandy foot paths, boardwalks, and along sandbeach, 25°F (-4°C) and -2°F (-19°C).

Highlights -  Views of the beautiful lake Michigan, sand dunes, and views of the Rawley Point Light House near the trail.

Total Ice Age Trail Miles to Date - Total official IAT trail distance completed to date - 496 miles (798 km).

Amenities - Parking at the Neshota Park Beach Loop Trailhead and Ranger Station near the Ranger Station. Rustic and campground camping opportunities are available in Point Beach State Forest. Two Rivers nearby offers dining establishments, museums, post office, and other local services. 

Location - Parked at the Ranger Station and Neshota Park Beach Loop Trailhead.





No comments:

Post a Comment