Monday, January 17, 2022

Hiking the Connection Route between the Point Beach Segment and the Mishicot Segment of the Ice Age Trail

On a cold January morning I arrived in Mishicot planning to park at the Mishicot Village Park and begin hiking only to find the lot unplowed. Having difficulty seeing where the parking lot ended and the park greens started, I drove around Mishicot looking for a place to park off the snowy streets. Since it happened to be the weekend, I decided to park in a freshly plowed visitor's spot in front of the Mishicot Elementary School. 




The forecast had called for a sunrise temperature of 16°F, but the actual temperature was -3°F. I dug through my pack looking for an extra warm hat and gloves and wished I had brought a warmer coat. Today I planned to hike the connecting route between the Point Beach and Mishicot Segments of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail (IAT).  I headed north on Woodlawn Drive and then east on Randolph Street, also known as County Road V at a brisk pace to warm up my hands and toes. As I headed east on County Road V, I noticed a steady stream of traffic and spent a good bit of time hopping into the snowy shoulder of the road to give the cars some extra room. The sun rose over the farmsteads, and a delightful dusting of snow coated the occasional patch of trees making the world look magical. 


Along County Road V


Sunrise behind the snow dusted trees


Wisconsin farmsteads


Roadside architecture offers a slice of history


Crossing Wisconsin State Highway 42 required some patience and care. After crossing Wisconsin State Highway 42, the traffic slowed down, and the walk became more peaceful. I continued in that direction until I had about 5 miles on County Road V behind me. Then, I turned north onto Lakeshore Drive and walked about a quarter mile to the terminus of the Point Beach Segment of the Ice Age Trail. At the trail, I turned back and hiked the route by which I had just arrived in reverse. 


 

Take care at the Wisconsin State Highway 42 crossing


More along County Road V


Along Lakeshore Drive 


The bitter cold and wind had my joints aching. Although a 10.6 mile round trip typically presents a comfortable walking distance, in this case I felt glad to end my walk, start up the heater in my car, and rest my cold, achy joints. That's all for now, let's get outdoors and keep our wild places wild!


Back to Mishicot


Trail town population 1442



Map of the connecting route



Total Distance Covered -  5.3 miles (8.5 km) one way.

Difficulty - Easy to moderate, one small hill, dealing with traffic, and some ice and snow give it a ranking beyond easy.

Trail Conditions - The connecting route traverses country roads, started out -3°F (-19°C) warming up to 13°F (-11°C).

Highlights -  Views of Wisconsin farmsteads, the view of the Mishicot water tower coming over the hill into town.

Total Ice Age Trail Miles to Date - Total official IAT trail distance completed to date - 502 miles (803 km).

Amenities - Parking at the Mishicot Village Park (although not plowed when I arrived so I needed to drive around Mishicot to seek parking elsewhere). Mishicot amenities include a post office, some bars and local eateries, a laundromat, Dollar General, and a historical museum.

Location - Parked at the Mishicot Elementary School (on the weekend) in a visitor spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment