Thursday, January 4, 2024

Hiking the Waupaca River Segment of the Ice Age Trail

 

On the cold, snowless first morning of 2024, I hiked the Waupaca River Segment of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail (IAT). I started at the State Highway 54 trailhead parking circle, hiking north and then west through a narrow corridor of trees around a farmer's field. When I arrived at Townline Road, I began walking north. I walked up a hill near Nelson's Tree Farm only to find police blocking the road. Due to the police presence, I began to head back towards the Highway 54 trailhead parking area.



The cold wind bit at my fingers through my gloves. Re-entering the protective coridor of trees provided relief from the wind as I headed back to my car. With only a quarter of Waupaca River Segment of the IAT complete, I drove to the parking area on Foley Road to try again. 


Nelson's Tree Farm along Townline Road.

Thank you farmer's for allowing the IAT to pass through your land.

Local farm along Townline Road

Tree tunnel 

Waupaca River Segment of the IAT




When I arrived at Foley Road, I entered the IAT from the spur trail at the Foley Road trailhead parking area and headed south through a wooded area along the Waupace river. As I left the footpath and entered Cobbtown Road, the view of the river rapids on the north side of the road made for the best view of the river of this hike. 

As I began the road walk for the second time, I first headed west on Cobbtown Road and then south on Townline Road. As I approached the spot blocked by the police this time heading from north to south I worried I would not be able to fully finish the segment. Luckily, as I drew near, they turned off their lights and drove away. I was glad to finish walking to the point I had left off earlier.  



Tree farm along Townline Road

The tree that had fallen in the road now cut up and moved aside




Headed back towards Cobbtown Road from Townline Road




I retraced my steps back to point where I had started heading south from the Foley Road parking area. Now I headed North along the Waupaca River Segment of the IAT. The trail followed the Waupaca River for a time, and eventually climbed up and away from the river offering some nice vistas overlooking the surrounding area. After a time, the trail headed downwards back to Foley Road. I continued North on Foley Road to the northern terminus of the Waupaca River Segment of the IAT. The grand finale of of this hike involves crossing Interstate Highway 10 on Foley Road, the most difficult part of the hike as traffic moves fast and furious on Highway 10. 


Waupaca River

Another view of the Waupaca River

The IAT

View of Foley Road from the trail



Quarry along the way



When I completed the segment I backtracked back to the Foley Road Trailhead. By this time my hands were frozen and I was glad to start the car and crank up the heater. That's all for now, let's get outdoors and keep our wild places wild!


Map of Waupaca River Segment of the IAT




Total Distance Covered -  The portion of the Milwaukee River Segment that runs through Washington County is 4.9 miles (7.9 km) one way. 

Difficulty - Moderate - a few hills.

Trail Conditions - The trail is well-blazed. Ran into no other hikers on the trail, 24°F (-4°C).

Highlights -  The rolling hills, a few gorgeous views of the Waupaca River.

Total Ice Age Trail Miles to Date - Total official trail distance completed to date - 602 miles (963 km).

Amenities - Trailhead parking along State Highway 54 and at Foley Drive.

Location - Parked in the State Highway 54 Ice Age Trail Parking Area, relocated to the Foley Road parking area mid-hike due to police blocking Townline Road.


No comments:

Post a Comment