Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Janesville to Milton Segment of the Ice Age Trail

The Janesville to Milton Segment of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail (IAT) is about half road-walking and half hiking on a well-maintained railroad line converted into a multi-use trail. The segment runs 3.2 flat, easy miles (5.1 km). This segment falls between the Janesville and Milton Segments, hence the name "Janesville to Milton Segment".






After parking at the IAT trailhead parking area on NW Rotamer Road just south of Townline Road in Milton, I headed south on the IAT. I followed the yellow blazes to NW Rotamer Road, then onto W Rotamer Rd, and finally onto W Rotamer Court before turning back. 

The dull gray day made for lackluster photography, but I did manage to snag a few shots of a property I really enjoyed along the road walk. Also managed to pick up a nifty rock dragonfly idea for my garden. Just as I finished my hike, the sun popped out, so I grabbed a sunny picture of flat Stacey hiking the famous IAT for a young relative in Knoxville, TN. 








After turning back and passing the parking area I started from, I headed northeast along the blazed trail crossing Townline Road, and continued on to the endpoint at the intersection of Manogue Road and Vincent Street. From there, I turned back and walked back to my car. 



Where the sidewalk ends, and then starts back up again.

Along the Janesville to Milton Segement walk.

The Milton Segment

This easy 6.4 mile (12.4 km) fall walk does not offer amenities, but does connect with the Janesville Segment. The Janesville Segment offers many amenities for the thru-hiker including restaurants, shopping, and lodging near the trail.

The Janesville Segment


That's all for now. Get outdoors, and keep our wild places wild!

Janesville to Milton Segment of the IAT


Trail Conditions - Overcast and 31F (-0.6C).

Total Distance Covered - 6.4 miles (12.3 km) out and back.

Difficulty - Easy.

Highlights -  Getting swooped by a hawk fighting with a bird.

Location - Parked at the IAT parking area on NW Rotamer Road just south of Townline Road.

Total Ice Age Trail Miles to Date - Total official trail distance completed 207.4 miles (331.8 km).




No comments:

Post a Comment