Sunday, January 10, 2016

Connecting Route from the Verona Segment to the Montrose Segment of the Ice Age Trail


Snow flurries greeted me as I began to walk the connecting route between the Verona and Montrose Segments of the Ice Age Trail. Although the traffic roars on County Road Pb, the remainder of the walk proved pleasant with little traffic. After parking at the Prairie Moraine County Park on Wesner Lane just off County Road Pb, I walked south on County Road Pb, east on Sunset Drive, south on Borchert Road, and east on Purcell Road to the Badger State Trail. This road walk ranks an easy 2.9 miles (4.7 km), 5.8 miles (9.3 km)  considering of the walk back to the car.


The falling snow, and the already snow-frosted roads and trees gave the day the feel of Christmas, in contrast to the green Christmas we had. The oak trees still clung to their browned leaves as oaks do, and walking the back roads felt a bit like walking through a Christmas card.


Horse barn on Sunset Drive.


Oaks holding onto their leaves on Borchert Road.


The start of the Montrose Segment on Purcell Road.


Snow covered trees on Sunset Drive.


Snow!


Tree buddy on Sunset Drive.


Given the wet snowy day, what did I wear to stay warm, but not too warm and not too wet? As always, I wore layers and good footwear. My clothing layers included long underwear, fleece pants and a fleece jacket, fleece gloves, a hat, and a rain jacket shell which came off when I warmed up and the wet snow slowed down. I also wore an orange safety vest over my clothing to add visibility due to the weather and slippery driving conditions on the side roads.

My footwear included waterproof trail runners (Salomon XA Comp 7), Yaktrax, and gaiters. I used Yaktrax because on the drive over I learned how slippery the back roads were. Also, I carried trekking poles which  help when the occasional car comes skidding along sending me scurrying for the relative safety of the ditch. 




Today's footwear: Yaktrax, gaiters, and waterproof shoes.



Map of today's Ice Age Trail hike.


Trail Conditions - Snowing, slippery, and 32°F (0°C).

Distance Covered  - 5.8 miles (9.4 km) out and back.

Difficulty - Easy with a few easy to moderate hills. They hills may be considered moderately strenuous for those unaccustomed to walking hills. Be careful on PB as traffic is heavy and fast moving.

Location - Parked at the IAT parking area at the dog park on Wessner Road.

Highlights - Watching large snowflakes fall, snow frosted trees.

Total Official Ice Age Trail Miles Completed to Date - Total official Ice Age Trail distance completed 119 miles (191 km). Trail 60 miles (95 km), connecting route 60 miles (91 km).

Total Additional Backtracking Miles Completed - 105 miles (167 km).  


Disclaimer


I do not receive compensation for products mentioned or reviewed in this post. All products mentioned or reviewed were purchased by me. All comments made are based on personal use and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment