Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Hiking the Manitowoc Segment of the Ice Age Trail


The iconic Ice Age National Scenic Trail (IAT) experience includes walks through picturesque trail towns. As a hiker fond of quiet places and solitude, I avoided the Manitowoc Segment for a time in favor of forested footpaths and road walks through the countryside. Finally, on a cold, clear October morning, I walked the 7.5 mile (km) Manitowoc Segment of the IAT. What a surprise! 




The Manitowoc Segment of the IAT has it all - beautiful views of the Manitowoc River and Lake Michigan, parks, views of the downtown and industrial areas, veteran's memorials, museums, as well as strolls through the pricey and not so pricey parts of town. After walking this segment, I decided to one day return to Manitowoc with my daughter to explore the museums, zoo, lakeshore, riverfront and restaurants. So much to do in a small place without the big city traffic and hustle. 



Manitowoc River from Henry Schuette Park


To start the day, I began preparing my bicycle for the hike. I planned to lock it to a tree in Schuette park and drive to the Dunes Segment to park to start the hike. I would peddle back to my car at the end of  the hike. When I went to put air in my tires I discovered a torn tire stem and scrapped my bicycling idea. I would walk both ways on this hike.



Trail Signage at Henry Schuette Park

A cacophony of migrating geese greeted me as I rolled into my parking spot at Schuette Park. I hiked up the hill to the end of the segment at the corner of Rapids Road and Broadway Street.  This short distance covered, I backtracked back past my car and headed in the other direction along the Manitowoc River. Geese continued honking and flying overhead while ducks swam in the river. The trail started out as wide as a road headed east through the trees of Schuette Park. Vibrant green scum floated on ponds of water among the trees. The trail continued along the Manitowoc river. The truss bridge with train tracks announced to the world, "PZ I LOVE YOU".  As I hiked on, the graffiti sightings continued. 



Still seeing wildflowers, October 2021


Train truss over the Manitowoc River


At Claypit Road I found more trail parking and walked past school property towards a medical complex and an industrial area. At Revere Drive, also known as 18th Street, I headed north and crossed the bridge over the Manitowoc River taking in views of the downtown and the industrial area. Two landmarks that stood out were the St. Mary's Cement Company and the Burger Boat Company. I passed the Eternal Light Veterans Memorial and Veteran's Memorial Park, then turned right on Michigan Avenue, also known as Huron Street. Here, I strolled by some glorious estates. 



Bridge view


Another Bridge View of Manitowoc

I followed Huron Street and took a right on 11th Street and another on 10th Street, finally turning left onto Park Street where I saw the Rahr-West Art Musuem. Soon I walked diagonally through Union Park where to my relief I found an unlocked restroom. From there I headed south on 6th Street to the Manitowoc River where I saw a farmer's market in full swing across the river and the Wisconsin Maritime Museum ahead. I followed the IAT to a sidewalk along the river and towards the Lake Michigan breakwater. Here, the IAT connects with the Mariner's Trail and continues on a paved path northeast along Lake Michigan for several miles.



Historic industrial building



View of Burger Boat Company and St. Mary's Cement Company along the Manitowoc River



Halloween sights around town




Rahr-West Art Museum


Cold winds blew across the lake and the bright light made photography a challenge, although I did manage to catch a few good shots. I rested my feet and looked at the Lake on one of the many conveniently placed benches. Some interesting sculpture lined the path.  Many gorgeous gulls, cormorants,  swans and other water birds swam along the shore.




Along the Manitowoc River


The Yacht Club


Gulls along Lake Michigan


As I continued north along Highway 42, I passed the the beautiful West Of the Lake Gardens. If it is open, when can pass through the gardens along this route as admission is free. Across the street, I saw an abandoned shopping mall with weeds doing their best to reclaim the parking lot. What a difference looking to the right to the gardens or looking left to the abandoned mall made! 

I continued past the Chamber of Commerce. Soon I arrived at the corner of Taylor Street and Memorial Drive and it was time to turn around and backtrack back to my car at Schuette Park. My legs felt cold and stiff. At this point it would have been nice to have my bicycle to ride back to the car. Instead I turned and walked, looking for shortcuts along the way.



Anchor near the yacht club 



One of the sculptures along the lake shore


View of downtown Manitowoc from the lake shore


That's all for now. Let's get outdoors and keep our wild places wild!



Map of the hike




Total Distance Covered -  7.5 miles (12.1 km) one way.

Difficulty - Easy to moderate. 

Trail Conditions - The trail traverses sidewalks, a hiking trail, and a bicycle/pedestrian path, 41°F (5°C). 

Highlights -  Views of the Manitowoc River and Lake Michigan with parks and museums along the trail.

Total Ice Age Trail Miles to Date - Total official IAT trail distance completed to date - 480 miles (768 km).

Amenities - There are many opportunities for parking. The best are at Aurora Health Care, the various parking lots along the paved path that follows Lake Michigan, and at Henry Schuette Park. The trail takes the hiking through the city of Manitowoc past dining, lodging, and shopping opportunities as well as parks and museums.

Location - Parked at Henry Schuette Park.



No comments:

Post a Comment