Monday, February 17, 2020

Hiking the Bohn Lake Segment of the Ice Age Trail, Along with the Connecting Routes to the Deerfield and Greenwood Segments

Layered up and ready to go, I hiked the Bohn Lake Segment of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail (IAT) and the neighboring connecting routes on a windy 12°F (-11°C) February morning. The Bohn Lake Segment of the IAT is 1.8 miles in length, bookended by short connecting routes on either end. To the northeast the connecting route carriers the hiker 1.8 miles to the Deerfield Segment of the IAT, and to the south the connecting route carries the hiker one mile to the Greenwood Segment of the IAT.



After parking at the Bohn Lake Ice Age Trail parking area on County Road B near Hancock in Waushara County, I crossed County Road B and headed south along the new addition to the Bohn Lake Segment of the IAT. After hiking through an area that was partly open and partly wooded with evergreen species and small oaks, I entered a field before reaching the corner of County Road C and 9th Avenue. 

Although deep, the snow didn't require snowshoes foot traffic packed it hard. This new addition to the trail was well-blazed and easy to follow. At the corner of County Road C and County Road B, the trail ended and I headed south on 9th Avenue for one mile, completing the road walk between the Bohn Lake and Greenwood Segments of the IAT. 


The new portion of the Bohn Lake Segment of the IAT 



The connecting route along 9th avenue



The Bohn Lake Segment of the IAT

Many of the properties in this area had unplowed driveways, presumably hunting cabins or summer homes. I reached the Greenwood Segment of the IAT, then backtracked back north to the Bohn Lake Ice Age Trail parking area. 


Bohn Lake

Once back to my starting point, I followed the trail as it zig-zagged down to Bohn Lake, first through an area again rich with oaks, and later through a pine plantation. Soon I reached the lake where I followed the IAT along Bohn lake's border. The lake ice bordered the trail in some places and overtook the trail in others. 

Keep the possibility of wet feet in mind when you plan to hike the Bohn Lake segment of the IAT. Had it been warmer outside I would have been hiking through lake water rather than over ice. Before long, I crossed the new wooden bridge and headed away from the lake and up towards 9th Lane. 



Is each one unique just like a snowflake?

Stand of pines on the Bohn Lake Segment of the IAT

Big dog!

Trailhead signage

The bridge along Bohn Lake

Yellow blaze!



When I reached 9th Lane, I hiked north until I reached County Road V, where I turned east and walked about a half mile to Beechnut Road. After a short stroll along Beechnut road I reached the Deerfield Segment of the IAT. Here, I turned back to backtrack back to the parking area on County Road B. On my return along County Road V, an pit bull started barking angrily and coming closer. My heart raced. Mentally I starting planning my self defense when finally a man came out and called the dog. What a relief. 




Along 9th Avenue

Along the connecting route

Along the connecting route

Sometimes the sun tries so hard to come out



As I continued down 9th Lane back towards the Bohn Lake Segment, I startled 3 turkey and enjoyed the show as they fled. Before long I was back to the trail heading back to the car to end my hike. Overall the Bohn Lake Segment of the Ice Age Trail is quiet and beautiful. It's a relatively short and easy hike if you don't mind potentially getting your feet wet along Bohn Lake, an easy bit of mild hilliness, and come prepared with microspikes for the ice if you are winter hiking.



Map of today's hike.


That's all for now. Let's get outdoors and keep our wild places wild.


Total Distance Covered -  4.6 miles (7.4 km) one way. Connecting Route: Greenwood Segment to Bohn Lake Segment 1 mile (1.6 km). Bohn Lake Segment 1.8 miles (2.9 km). Connecting Route: Bohn Lake Segment to Deerfield Segment 1.8 miles (2.9 km). 

Difficulty - Easy to moderate but icy, ice spikes were needed due to hard pack ice and snow...currently moderate due to the ice and some gently hilly spots.

Trail Conditions -  Most of the road was easy to walk with minimal traffic and minimal ice; however, the trail and the parking area were slippery and required micro-spikes due to hard-packed ice and snow. Although the snow was deep enough for snowshoes, they were not necessary because the trail was completely hard-packed, 12°F  (-11°C). 

Highlights -  Views of Bohn Lake, turkeys. 

Total Ice Age Trail Miles to Date - Total official IAT trail distance completed to date - 467 miles (747 km).

Location - I parked at the Bohn Lake Recreation Area Ice Age Trail parking area on County Road B.

Amenities - Trail head parking for the IAT on County Road B. 


No comments:

Post a Comment