Monday, December 31, 2018

Wedde Creek Segment of the Ice Age Trail and Connecting Route to the Mecan River Segment


The Wedde Creek Segment of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail (IAT) is one of the trail's shortest segments, but paired with the connecting route to the Mecan River Segment it makes for a nice little winter's walk. On a cold December day I parked at the DNR parking area on Czech Avenue in Waushara County and began my hike.






The short segment connects Czech Avenue with Cypress Road. One of the highlights of the route is a large erratic just off trail. Another is its namesake, Wedde Creek. The trail is lined with many oaks hanging onto their brown fall leaves making a welcoming rustle as the cold winds blow. I hiked and thought about where our family has been in 2018 and where we plan to go in 2019. Hiking always provides the opportunity for good thinking.





Video featuring the Wedde Creek Segment of the IAT


Along the Wedde Creek Segment of the IAT


Erratic on the Wedde Creek Segment

Along the connecting route along County Highway JJ


I exited the Wedde Creek Segment of the IAT and started heading to the Mecan River Segment. I took a right at Cypress Road and a quick left at County Highway JJ. After walking past what appeared to be game farms, I turned left at County Highway B and began to walk through Richford. 






Road walk with carriages 



You never know what you are going to see along the IAT and its connecting routes. Much to my surprise, a flurry of clip clops grew louder and horse drawn carriages began to pass by. Unexpected, yes, but it didn't take me long to realize I was walking through an Amish community at Sunday church time. With all the excitement watching the horses fly by, I missed my left and ended up taking busier Wisconsin Highway 21 to the left to the Mecan River Segment trail head. 



Along the Connecting Routemon State Highway 21

The Mecan River

The IAT


As I approached the Mecan River trail head parking area, I noticed a yellow-blazed path headed back towards the direction I had come. While this portion of trail was not complete on my out-of-date map from an old IAT atlas I have been using, I was glad to see it. I'm not sure if this bit of trail is officially a part of the Mecan River Segment or the Wedde Creek Segment as it was not signed as being a part of any particular segment. That said, I headed that way and enjoyed about a half mile on trail before jumping back onto the connecting route and backtracking back to the parking area at Wedde Creek.



Along the connecting route on County Highway B


A little pop of color on a gray day

The sun trying so hard to come out

Map of today's hike
https://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright


That's all for now. Let's get outdoors and keep our wild places wild.


Total Distance Covered -  The portion of the Wedde Creek Segment is 1.2 miles (1.9 km) one way, and the connecting route to the Mecan River Segment is 2.3 miles. This makes for 7.2 miles (11.6 km) out and back. 

Difficulty - Easy - but I will give it a moderate for this time of year due to the ice and snow on the gently rolling hilly spots.

Trail Conditions - The trail is well-blazed and highly used. Some patches were very icy and slippery, 25°F (-4°C).

Highlights -  Snow! The parade of horse drawn carriages at Amish church time on the connecting route through Richford. Wedde Creek.

Total Ice Age Trail Miles to Date - Total official trail distance completed to date - 385 miles (615 km).

Amenities - DNR parking along Czech Avenue, also Mecan River DNR parking along Highway 21. The Mecan River Inn for lodging with a bar and grill across the road along the connecting route through Richford.

Location - Parked in the DNR parking area on Czech Avenue and used the spur trail to access the IAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment