Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Hiking the Connecting Route from the John Muir Segment to the Chaffee Creek Segment of the Ice Age Trail

When autumn rolls around, road-walking the connecting routes along the Ice Age National Scenic Trail (IAT) offers an alternative to hiking on trails hunters like to frequent. This fall I walked from the John Muir Memorial County Park (John Muir Segment of the IAT) to the Chaffee Creek Segment of the IAT, breaking the route into several fall walks. I deviated from the suggested connecting route shown on the Ice Age Trail Alliance's website, shaving off about 10 miles (16 km) of road-walking.




On my first fall walk, I walked 7.2 miles (11.6 km) from the John Muir Memorial Park to Packwaukee in Marquette County. The route I followed heads northeast on Fox River Road, then northwest on 10th Road. As I headed north along 10th Road towards Packwaukee, I began to notice many down branches and trees, and even a barn with the roofing material torn and dangling.

Storm damage

More storm damage


I headed west, then north on County Road D. When I arrived at the road that crossed the Buffalo Lake in Packwaukee, I found the road closed due to flooding. I walked across the closed section of County Road D that crosses Buffalo Lake, and found that the flood had receded from the road, but that in places the water was still only an inch away from flooding the road once again.


County Road D closed across Buffalo Lake
Map from John Muir Memorial County Park to Packwaukee

On my next road-walk, I covered 11.3 miles (18.2 km) through Marquette County, from Packwaukee to Westfield. I locked my bicycle to the rack at the Pewaukee Public Library for a self-shuttle. Starting at Pioneer Memorial Park in Westfield, I started walking the 11.3 miles back to my bicycle. As I walked, the sun rose providing a spectacular farm country sunrise.


Along 8th Court as the sun prepares to rise

Sunrise over Elk Avenue


I walked along Pioneer Park Road to County Road J and walked east out of Westfield. Traffic moves fast on County Road J, take care if you walk or bicycle along this road. When I reached 8th Court, I breathed a sigh of relief at leaving busy County Road J and started heading south. The sunrise was breathtaking and I thoroughly enjoyed watching. I turned east on Elk Avenue for a brief time, and south again on 8th Drive. There is a small lake called Christensen Lake along this stretch of 8th Drive. Keep your eyes open for it, it is small and easily missed, but very beautiful and worth stopping to take a look.



More sunrise action

Farmstead sunrise


Christensen Lake


The day grew crisp and sunny. A truly beautiful fall day in Wisconsin. It felt good to be walking, and time passed quickly.

ATV route signs all along the route

Along 9th Avenue

Near Packwaukee

Corn!

When I reached Ember Drive I headed east for a short time and then south on 9th Avenue until it became County Road ZZ. Then, I followed ZZ south to County Road C which I took southwest into Packwaukee. I followed Chestnut Street to the southwest and continued on to Liberty Street to the closed road across Buffalo Lake, may stopping point from the previously reported walk. And yes, the road across Buffalo Lake (part of the Fox River system) still remained closed. Having completed my planned roadwalk, I headed to the library for my bicycle self-shuttle back to Pioneer Memorial Park.


Packwaukee is a small town on Buffalo Lake

Historic home in Packwaukee, political sign obscuring my view


Map from Packwaukee to Westfield

On my final road walk through Marquette County, I parked at the Upper Fox Headwaters State Natural Area near the trail to the Chaffee Creek Segment of the IAT at the dead end of 6th Avenue. The small trail post stood off to the right. This signage is not the typical large Ice Age Trail sign easily seen from one's vehicle at IAT trailheads, if you don't look closely for the post, you might miss it. On this day, I wasn't there to enjoy the beckoning trail. I was there to finish the long road-walk through Marquette County.


Don't blink, you'll miss the trailhead!


I began my road-walk to Pioneer Park in Westfield. To begin, I headed north on 6th Avenue and then west on Henry Shore Drive. Greeted by numerous no trespassing and private road signs when I got to Shorewood Trail, I turned back and sought a new route. Note: this detour is not included in the 10.9 miles (17.54 km) reported for this stretch of walking. Plan on walking 10.9 miles if you follow the route, and do not make my mistake and follow the "shortcut" if you plot the route on Google Maps like I did.

Earthen berm around property

Along Fawn Road


Once back on track, I headed further north on 6th Avenue, northwest on Fawn Lane, and then continued west on Czech Avenue. At County Highway CH, I headed south about a mile. Then I turned east on Dakota Ave and south on Becker Road, walking through the Wood Lake area. Along this first portion of the walk, I noticed many no trespassing signs, including signs with pictures of weapons on them. One home even had an earthen berm around the boundary. Maybe I'm paranoid, but all of this gave me a bit of a creepy feeling, and I walked through this area full speed ahead.

On County Highway CH once again, I headed south for long stretch towards Westfield. I saw plenty of turkeys in the fields. Once in Westfield, I headed east on E. Pioneer Park Road to Pioneer Memorial Park. This was one of those windy autumn days when golden leaves fall continuously. The gold autumn leaves in contrast with the blue autumn sky made for a beautiful morning.


Along County Highway CH, Town of Springfield


Gobble, gobble!

A gorgeous fall day in Wisconsin


Watching the leaves fall along County Highway CH

Amish Country

A gravestone for the church with the steeple preserved behind (see below)

The church steeple is preserved in the graveyard


Autumn in Wisconsin along County Highway CH

Map from Westfield to the Chaffee Creek Segment of the IAT
© OpenStreetMap contributors

https://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright


When I arrived at Pioneer Memorial Park, I jumped on my bicycle and backtracked back to the trailhead. I have been following the maps in the 2014 Ice Age Trail Atlas published by the Ice Age Trail Alliance (IATA). A new 2017 edition has been released and the route recommended by the IATA may differ. If you check the interactive hiking map currently available on the IATA Website, a new walking route is recommended from John Muir Memorial Park to the Chaffee Creek Segment of the IAT. This route is 39.4 miles long as this new route now heads through Montello. There are camping opportunities along this route as well as the opportunity to walk through the small city of Montello.

If thru-hiking, the new route may be a better option assuming you seek camping opportunities, a grocery store, or restaurants. For IATA "Thousand Miler" recognition, connecting routes must continuously connect each official trail segment, but the selection of which roads and footpaths to walk is at the discretion of the hiker. Perhaps one day a portion of the new route will become an official IAT trail segment, but at the time of this writing, it is one of many routes one could choose to fulfill the  requirement.


Map of entire route from the John Muir Segment to the Chaffee Creek Segment of the IAT
© OpenStreetMap contributors
https://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright


Thanks for coming along with me. That's all for now. Let's get outdoors and keep our wild places wild!



Total Distance Covered -  58.8 miles (94 km) out and back total, the connecting route was 29.4 miles (47 km) one way. 

Difficulty - Easy, does have some hills.

Trail Conditions - The roads can at times have fast moving traffic with narrow shoulders. From John Muir Memorial County Park to Pewaukee, - 45°F (7°C). From Pewaukee to Westfield, 31°(-0.6°C). From Westfield to the Chaffee Creek Segment of the IAT, 24°(-4°C).

Highlights -  Watching migrating geese, spotting turkeys and plenty of deer on the move, and gorgeous autumn colors.

Total Ice Age Trail Miles to Date - Total official IAT trail distance completed to date - 378 miles (605 km).

Amenities - Restrooms at John Muir County Park trail-head, the Packwaukee Town Launch ($3 drop box), the Pioneer Memorial Park in Westfield. Their is a McDonalds and gas station near Pioneer Memorial Park, and Andy's Wood Lake Resort is on Dakota Avenue.

Location - Parked at John Muir County Park IAT trail-head,  the Packwaukee Public Library in Packwaukee, the Pioneer Memorial Park in Westfield, and the side trail for the Chaffee Creek Segment of the IAT at the dead end of 6th Avenue in the Upper Fox Headwaters State Natural Area.

No comments:

Post a Comment