Sunday, December 24, 2017

Hiking the Connecting Route from the Portage Canal to the John Muir Park Segment of the Ice Age Trail

 Since Thanksgiving weekend occurs at the height of gun hunting season, and with the new law that children as young as 5 years old can hunt, I decided to knock out a few road-walk miles over the holiday weekend. I hiked the connecting route from the Portage Canal Segment to the John Muir Park Segment of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail (IAT). 





Despite sticking to the roads, I did see deer and sandhill cranes on the move as hunters stirred them up, and did hear a few gunshots. I wore blaze orange for extra visibility, and didn't worry about it. As I walked along County Road F, I saw a hunter in a pickup truck collide with a deer, taken so by surprise I forgot about the camera in my hand.


Starting the connected route at the Portage Canal Segment 



Goats along County Road F on the connecting route

Along State Highway 33 along the connecting route


I broke this hike into 2 parts, and enjoyed two early morning weekend walks. First, I hiked out of Portage along State Highway 33 for less than a mile, then headed north on County Road F. The connecting route along County Road F offers views of farms, fields, deer stands, and a few patches of wetland. This day provided a fantastic opportunity to view sandhill cranes and deer, as the hunters wandering around had them stirred up and on the move.


French Creek Wildlife Area along County Road F

French Creek Wildlife Area along County Road F

Along the connecting route



Interesting hand cranked pump on mailbox

Beautiful barn along the connecting route


For the second part, I parked at the John Muir Memorial County Park and headed south along County Road F until I reached my previous endpoint, then I flip-flopped back to my car. Along this stretch of County Road F, I enjoyed watching birds at the French Creek Wildlife area and watching the Amish hang clothes to dry on a cold November morning. A friendly horse that was out trimming the lawn by mouth in the early morning, was pulling a cart on my flip flop. Doing these hikes in the early morning on weekend days, allowed me to hike along County Road F without much traffic rather than doing the longer hikes down some of the smaller farm roads which adds a couple of miles. 

Map of Route from Portage to John Muir Memorial County Park


That's all for now. Let's get outdoors and keep our wild places wild.



Total Distance Covered -  21.6 miles (34.8 km) out and back total, the connecting route is 10.8 miles (17.4 km) one way. 

Difficulty - Easy.

Trail Conditions - The roads can at times be busy, 38°F (3°C) - part 1, 30°(-1°C) - part 2.

Highlights -  Watching the migrating sandhill cranes. Saw plenty of deer on the move stirred up by hunters.

Total Ice Age Trail Miles to Date - Total official trail distance completed to date - 325 miles (520 km).

Amenities - Parking at John Muir County Park and the Portage Canal Segment trail-head of the IAT. Also parking at the wayside along State Highway 33 in Portage and at the Keist-Dury Trailhead in Portage along State Highway 33. A BP gas station at the corner of State Highway 33 and County Road F. There is also a historic site along State Highway 33, the historic Fort Winnebago Surgeon's Quarters. Vault toilet is available during warm weather season at the John Muir Memorial County Park.

Location - Parked at the wayside along State Highway 33 in Portage (Part 1) and at the John Muir County Park (Part 2).

No comments:

Post a Comment