Sunday, September 3, 2017

Hartland Segment of the Ice Age Trail

With the canoe tripping and summer camping trips behind us, I dusted off my hiking poles and headed to the Hartland Segment of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail (IAT). I parked mid-segment at Nixon Park in Hartland, Wisconsin and headed south. I followed the IAT's yellow blazes south along Maple Avenue (Highway E), and then followed the IAT into the Hartland Ice Age Marsh. The chill in the air felt good. Golds and reds painted a leaf here, another there. Berries replaced flowers. A flock of geese passed overhead.









The IAT through the Ice Age Marsh carried me to Cottonwood Avenue. I walked along the multi-use path/IAT through a nice Hartland neighborhood until I reached West North Shore Drive (Highway KE). After crossing the highway, I followed another footpath through a hilly stretch of the IAT.









I reached the Foxwood Estates, and entered the unblazed portion of the Hartland Segment of the IAT. I turned left onto Foxwood Drive and right onto Fieldwood Drive. Then, I turned right onto Golf Hills Drive followed by a right onto Fairway Court. I enjoyed viewing the impressive homes in this area, and rejoined the IAT on the end of Fairway Court. After a short walk along the trail, I passed along the Naga-Waukee War Memorial Golf Course. Beyond the golf course I arrived at a busy shopping area, crossed Wisconsin State Highway 83, and headed to the Nagawaukee Park and Ride. At this point I turned around and backtracked to Nixon Park.







Once back at Nixon Park, I followed the yellow blazes north through Hartland along the Bark River. I meandered briefly through the downtown and went on to Bark Park, Hartbrook Park, and finally Centennial Park before backtracking to Nixon Park.






While I understand that on the calendar it is still summer, in my life autumn has arrived. The temperatures have cooled, leaves have begun to turn, and the children have headed back to school. Summer's outdoor adventures have all been had. It was a good day to make my peace with that. It was a good day to be on the trail, and a good day to get back into hiking the IAT. I said my goodbyes to summer fun, and found myself looking fondly forward to more autumn and winter hikes on the IAT.

Updated with Map:



That's all for now. Let's get outdoors, and keep our wild places wild!

Total Distance Covered -  13.6 miles (22 km) total, the Hartland Segment is 6.8 miles (11 km) one way. 

Difficulty - Easy with a few moderate hills.

Trail Conditions - Blazed in all areas except for the neighborhood starting in the Foxwood Estates area. Well maintained trails, 55°F (13°C).

Highlights -  Natural beauty, views of the Bark River, delicious aromas from Hartland's restaurants.

Total Ice Age Trail Miles to Date - Total official trail distance completed  285 miles (455 km).

Amenities - Parks, restaurants, and shops along side the trail.

Location - Parked at Nixon Park in Hartland, WI. There is also good parking at the other parks along the way, and the Nagawaukee Park and Ride.






No comments:

Post a Comment