Sunday, March 6, 2016

Albany Segment of the Ice Age Trail

Spring is most certainly on its way on the Albany Segment of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail. After a number of silent winter hikes, the cacophony made by geese, sandhill cranes, and various songbirds, made for an unexpected but welcomed surprise. I parked at the Old Train Depot on Pratt Road in Monticello, WI and headed east.  The Albany Segment of the IAT follows the Sugar River Trail from Monticello to Albany, WI. It is an easy hike, along an easy to follow, well-maintained, flat multi-use trail.



I felt the snow soften under my feet as the day warmed. With only 1 to 2 inches of snow on the ground, I comfortably hiked in waterproof trail running sneakers. I enjoyed occasional views of the Little Sugar River. The river now contains a number of down trees that will need to be cleared from the river before the paddling will be much good. There was one down tree across the trail as well.

After 5 miles of walking (8 km) I turned back for a total hike of 10 miles (16 km). The Albany Segment of the Ice Age Trail makes for a nice walk on an overcast March day.







Trail Conditions - Majority of trail covered with 1 to 2 inches (2.5-5.0 cm) of wet snow. Overcast and 36°F (2°C). 

Total Distance Covered  - 10 miles (16 km) out and back.

Difficulty - Easy and flat.


Highlights - The return of the sandhill cranes, views of the Little Sugar River.
 
Concerns - Watch your step, plenty of dog poop on the trail.

Location - Parked at the Badger River State Trail / Sugar River State Trail parking area on Pratt Road in Monticello, WI at the Old Train Depot.

Total Official Ice Age Trail Miles Completed to Date - Total official Ice Age Trail distance completed 146 miles (233 km).  


2 comments:

  1. Chase and I are just 2 steps behind you! Its fun reading about what's ahead for us. We'll finish Dane Cty on the 19th/20th, then it'll be time to hike this segment the following weekend. You are almost at 150 miles. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will pass me soon! The "dreaded A" is right around the corner, although I hear there is a friendlier but longer new suggested connecting route. Hopefully I'll get to meet your family when we get to the segment. When I get into Northern Wisconsin I'll be looking to your blog to see what's ahead. Thanks for your posts, I really enjoy reading about your family hikes with Chase.

      Delete